Ministries :: Outreach
HURRICANE HARVEY RELIEF!
St. George's is accepting donations to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey. To give online, click the DONATE button to go to St. George's online giving page, indicate the amount of your gift in the Disaster Relief section, and complete the giving form. Payment may be made via credit card or automatic withdrawal from your bank account.
If you would prefer to give by cash or check, you may do that as well - please make sure that your check says "Hurricane Relief" in the memo line, or that the cash is in an envelope marked "Hurricane Relief." Gifts may be placed in the alms basin on Sunday mornings, or mailed or hand-delivered to the church office at 4301 North IH-35, Austin, TX 78722.
Thank you for your generosity!
St. George's has a rich history of outreach activities that provide support and resources to our neighbors, our community and the world. We concurrently work together on a mix of long- and short-term projects with varying reach. In short, there's something for everyone at St. George's and everyone - including children - are welcome to participate in a way that is meaningful for their spiritual life and helps fulfill our mission in the Body of Christ.
Outreach Ministry Highlight - SEPTEMBER:
The Women's Storybook Project is a volunteer program that started in Austin and supports the children of women who are imprisoned at Gatesville and Plane/Henley prisons. The project strives to develop strong relationships between incarcerated mothers and their children. Volunteers travel to the state female prisons and record an inmate reading a children’s story and recording a short message to her child. The recording and the new book are then mailed to her child to help sustain their relationship while Mom is away.
Meetings are typically held on the 4th Sunday of the month, between the two Sunday services. To receive notices of meetings via e-mail, please contact Hollie Gordon, Outreach Chair, or the church office (email@example.com or 512-454-2523). Anyone interested in any of St. George's many outreach projects is always welcome at Outreach meetings, and you need not commit to regular attendance to be a valued member of this group.
The next Outreach Meeting is on Sunday, September 24th, from 9:30-10:30 am, in the Wright-Giles House. Coffee and donuts provided! We will discuss our current projects and new ideas for ways to faithfully engage with and serve our larger community, as we are called to do as followers of Christ.
Examples of current and past projects:
- Gift cards for St. George's Court at Christmas: Children in the parish decorate hand-made felt stockings that are filled with grocery store gift cards for the residents of St. George's Court, a senior residential facility.
- Hospitality baskets for Christopher House: St. George's provides baskets of snacks and personal care items each week to families at Hospice Austin's Christopher House, a beautiful facility for people with a terminal illness.
- Food bags: We provide a convenient assortment of specific shelf-stable food for the families served by Any Baby Can, a local charity that assists needy families with medically fragile or at-risk children.
- Comfort bags for survivors of assault: We provide hand-made, drawstring bags of comfort items - lotion, tissues, hairbands, and combs among other items - to Austin-area survivors of assault who are cared for by the Austin SAFE (Stop Abuse For Everyone) agencies.
- Women's Storybook Project: Volunteers from St. George's participate in this nonprofit, interfaith program that connects children with their incarcerated mothers through story books. Female volunteers travel to a women's prison to record mothers as they read stories to their children. The recordings and books are then mailed to the children.
- Bus passes for homeless students: Transportation to school can be a barrier to school attendance for children living in homeless shelters or other temporary housing. St. George's provides support to Friends of McCallum Students, a nonprofit serving at-risk students at McCallum High School and at elementary and middle schools that feed into McCallum.
To make a financial contribution to support the Outreach of St. George's, make your check payable to the St. George's Outreach Committee; make a note on the memo line if you want your gift targeted to a specific program. Checks may be placed in the alms basin or sent to the church office. We guarantee financial faithfulness. Your prayers are always needed.